Fairtrade Fortnight Comes to Hounslow
Residents encouraged to think about products they buy and differences they can make
To mark Fairtrade Fortnight which runs from 23 February to 8 March, residents are being encouraged to think about the products they buy, and the differences that can be made by making the change to Fairtrade.
Hounslow was officially recognised as a Fairtrade Borough in 2007, after a two-year council-led campaign that was backed by local faith groups, schools, business and residents.
As a result, a wider range of Fairtrade items such as fruit, chocolate, tea, coffee and wine are now readily available across the borough.
Council Leader, Cllr Peter Thompson, said, “Winning Fairtrade status is a good example of what we can achieve when people work together towards a common goal.
“Promoting Fairtrade in the borough gives local people the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of around 5 million people in the developing world. It’s a great way to make a big difference through simple gestures like buying a banana or enjoying a bar of chocolate.”
Events during Fairtrade Fortnight 2009:
• Monday 23 February - 8pm: Fair Trade Wine Tasting together with locally sourced food products, come along and see how good you are at identifying the various noses and tastes of wine, Tickets are £6 each, available from Open House Café (St. Paul’s Road, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 0PN) or call 020 8568 7442 to book a place.
• Sunday 1 March - 10am - Holy Communion Service with a sermon about fair trade at St. Paul’s Church, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 0PN.
• Tuesday 3 March - 1pm - Songs of Praise for FairTrade - brief lunchtime service full of songs at St. Pauls Church, St. Paul’s Road, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 0PN.
• Friday 6th March - Going Bananas in Open House! - many bananas will be served in delicious desserts to help make a record-breaking banana eating bonanza across London.
• Sunday 8 March - 10am - Holy Communion Service with a sermon about fair trade at St. Faith’s Church, 122 Windmill Road, Brentford, TW8 9NA
• The Open House Café will also be hosting a number of events during Fairtrade Fortnight from Monday to Friday, 11am - 2pm (Address: St. Paul’s Road, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 0PN): Fair trade themed lunch menu - the café menu will feature a selection of meals incorporating fairly traded ingredients for all to try! Lime & ginger cheesecakes, Banoffee Pie, quinou spaghetti Nepalese, brown basmati pilau - the menu changes daily so keep coming back for something new!
• Extended Fair Trade stall and display for the whole fortnight - variety of food products, crafts, Zaytoun olive oil, WoW bags - on sale during café hours. Catalogue orders can be taken too!
Fairtrade is an international organisation that gives disadvantaged producers, in the developing world a better deal. Any product that carries the Fairtrade Mark has to meet international standards and guarantees workers receive a fair wage. Fairtrade also ensures that some of the profit from every product you buy is invested in social or economic development projects.
February 27, 2009